Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Chief Home Economist's Midweek Report

It's a new week in my relatively new position as Chief Home Economist/Head of Child Development here at Sy Corp.  One of these days, I plan to design myself a fancy business card as a creative project.  Of course, it won't say Chief Home Economist - probably something like "The Sy Family" with a cartoon head representing each of us.  Don't want potential new mom BFFs to think I'm *crazy* :)

Monday was loaded with home economics.  I've been trying to figure out how to streamline production, particularly with regard to the chores I detest.  These would include laundry, vacuuming and dishes.  I have a plan to tackle laundry, which I read about in a magazine.  Put the laundry in the washer before bed.  Set start time for a 6 hour delay.  Wake up and shift the wash into the dryer.  Fold at my leisure throughout the day.  It'll be like I not doing laundry even though I am doing it!  I also read that experts generally agree: it's OK to leave the laundry in the wash overnight even if your system doesn't have the delay start function.  Vacuuming.  I've determined that a Roomba would be a good long term investment.  With this purchase, I can reduce visits from our "heavy-duty items" cleaning lady to once a month instead of once every other week.  Dishes.  I've made my peace with the fact that this is a short-term affliction.  As Tyler Perry's Madea character writes in Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings, "If you got children; you got servants."  Oh VeeeeEEEEERA!  Momma has a step stool with your name on it!  Maybe I'll write a book called Home Economics for Dummies :) 

Tuesday's theme was broken items.  Broken Items nos. 1&2: Sy women sick.  V and I went down to Gma and Gpa's today because I did not want her to get reinfected by the cold/diarrhea germs that she'd just gotten over and has since passed to me.  Broken Item no.3: Car.  It just underwent a "full circle" inspection last week, and the check engine light came on today.  Dealership won't take it same day,  so scheduled to bring it in tomorrow.  Broken Items nos. 4&5: Cameras.  Bought a camera when V was born ("Camera #1").  Said Camera #1 spontaneously registered a "lens error" and has refused to take photos.  Had been lusting after a new camera anyway.  Bought said Camera #2 from a website.  Camera #2 arrived with a foreign electrical plug on the charger and a camera lens that did not pick up any light.  Warranty still valid on Camera #1; off it went to Canon Service Center today.  Return authorization on Camera #2, and off it went to a place called homegoodz.com on Coney Island(?!).  Based on the quality of the customer service, not so sure if I'll ever see a new Camera #2 returned to me.  $600 total and zero cameras to record my precious one's goofy moments.  Lesson learned: If you're going to have a broken camera on your hands, it's far more comforting to have quality customer care/concierge service (I like that term!) on the other end of the line even if they initial cost is a little higher. I am partial to Costco's concierge service. Homegoodz.com: tsk tsk tsk.  Broken Item 6: My glasses.  They've been broken for...oh...about 6 months.  I've been squinting at the books I read in bed after my nightime toilette, wearing my contacts way too long everyday.   Why?  Because I am terrible at taking care of myself (I am a very very average woman).  Finally found a place that will solder the broken hinge back together instead of making me shovel out about $400.  It might not be pretty all soldered together, but at least I'll be able to see my books without smelling them at the same time.  Broken Item no. 7: The family dog.  We typically let Corky out to do his business in the yard before bedtime.  Tonight, we thought he was back in with us and shut the sliders, but we were wrong.  We hear him barking ferociously at 2am in the morning and run outside to find him under attack from two large coyotes.  Corky is a 13 lb corgi mix (i.e. smaller than a regular corgi).  Mike chased the coyotes away, and Corky slinks inside.  No gaping wounds and he sleeps through the night.  

Wednesday's theme: Redemption.  Corky wasn't fine upon waking today, unable to receive a pet nor tolerate his leash without yelping painfully.  He's rushed to the vet and mildly sedated.  It turns out those coyotes had gotten him on the right ear and just below the chin.  He's still at the hospital for observation, but he should be sent home soon with some pain meds.  I will be redeeming him with what will probably be a large sum of money.  However, it's worth it.  He was very blessed last night that the Lord endowed him with the bark and courage of a lion in his little frame.  Corky the Brave; Corky the Faithful.  So glad you're with us, boy!  Another blessing was that my car's check engine last went off on its own.  Good thing, because I couldn't have made the appt. today nor could I have paid for it!  Glasses will be ready for pick-up this afternoon, and V and I are almost back to 100% with all the rest that we're getting at home.  Sad we had to cancel plans with friends today but hope to redeem those soon as well.  It just goes to show that the only hope and joy that comes out of brokenness is repair and redemption by the owner.  It's like that with the human soul as well, no?  

1 comment:

LifeWithPsi said...

hullo! i like your job title.. anyway, laundry is such a chore in capital letters for me too! Especially since we don't have an in house laundry machine. It takes 4-5 minutes to walk to the nearest front-load washer (which I like because it fits nearly 2x as many clothes). So if I have 2 loads, thats 4 round trip walks to the laundry, which is 32-40 minutes walking time just to travel back and forth! Plus I have to take S if Tim is not home, so he gets strapped in the carrier every time I head out!