Monday, October 19, 2009

Bargain Monday

Get a load of the deals I got by playing the drugstore game at CVS today!  I play it because I get a lot of stuff for free and also because of my aforementioned love of drugstores :)


$6.99 Glade Reed Diffuser.  Had $3 off coupon from 10/4 SmartSource.  Also received $6.99 in Extra Bonus Bucks (they can be used on any other purchase and expire one month from date of issuance).


This candy deal came just in time for our church's Hallelujah party on Halloween!  12.5 oz bags of fun size Nestle and Hershey's brand candies were on sale for $5/2.  There was a B3G1 free coupon in yesterday's SmartSource.  Then Nestle had some $1 off coupons and CVS was giving extra bonus bucks for $20 in candy spending (using the original price).  Well, V and I went down to our local CVS and gathered everything, and then at the cash register, I realize that I forgot my wallet at home!  We rush home to grab the wallet, and I peek at Moneysavingmom.com again and lo and behold, Nestle just issued $2 coupons!  We print out four of those.  Which means...out of pocket, I spent $14.10 (incl. tax) on eight bags of candy and the reed diffuser.  I received $12 in Extra Bonus Bucks...making my total balance only $2.10!  Not bad!


I always found coupons a little annoying (too much trouble for the saving) until a good friend explained how to set it up and where to look for deals.  Now, I find that spending an hour a week figuring out the week's deals and purchases, which includes looking through the Sunday paper and cutting coupons, saves our family an average of about $50 per week.  Not bad for an hour's worth of thinking and reading.  Plus, it's rewarding being good stewards of our resources, and I find it fun and entertaining.   I follow two blogs: www.moneysavingmom.com and freebies4mom.blogspot.com; I read the Sunday ads; I file away coupon booklets by date received and clip only the coupons I know I will use that week.  I like the deals that are posted on the blogs, but I've also been able to put together my own deals which is both practical and intellectually stimulating.  If you have the resources, give it a try!  You might like it.







1 comment:

LifeWithPsi said...

hey! good post - reminded me of a couple things. when you go to CVS, be sure to scan your card at the "coupon scanner/price check" machine at the front of the store! Often times it prints out awesome coupons (I've already gotten $5 off $15 coupons on three separate occasions, and the $15 is before coupons). I think you can even scan your card AFTER your transaction, because after you use the coupon you can get another one (although i;ve never remembered to do so before leaving the store).
The other thing is, even though I don't clip most coupons beforehand, I ALWAYS clip diaper coupons and coupons for a few other things we definitely will use. ok cheers!