Thursday, September 24, 2009

The LA Fair

Los Angeles County Fair today! I walked; I ate; I learned.

1. Kids (baby goats) and lambs (baby sheep) look a LOT alike! Maybe that's why Jesus has to separate them. Can't tell them apart!  (I'm sure that this would be a useful sermon illustration for someone). 

2. Murano glass (that beautiful Venetian glass) was invented in 1300! The colored glass is created with mineral impurities, sand and fire...amazing.  (Much like how we are forged, no?)  I learned that factoid at the Millard Sheets building in the 30K Years of Art exhibit.  On Millard Sheets: over the past couple of years, I've come to appreciate his murals and mosaics...and also his drawing style - very stylized and quite architectural. Should really go for a driving tour of his work in downtown LA.

3. Dr. Bob's ice cream is the 2nd best ice cream in the world, according to National Geographic Best of Everything rating. The best is Handels. Dr. Bob's was sooooo good today. I had eggnog m...(some fancy Italian term) and dark chocolate. Server said I could find it at some Gelson locations in LA, and also Alicia's in Brea. Planning to pick up some at the Brea location. I wonder what other "best" categories National Geographic has rated. Will need to look it up and get back to you!

4. I really really value making small talk strangers, getting to know people, laughing with good friends. I very much appreciate people as social beings and find the social order beautiful.

Was really proud of myself for getting out the door with completely packed diaper bag and fully dress Vera by 8AM this morning. Stopped for cash and disposable camera (ours broke), picked up friends and off we went to the Fair. It was a hot day but kept Vera cool by sprinkling water on her head and adjusting the shade on her stroller a thousand times.

Can't wait for next year's fair. Also can't wait 'til Vera gets a little older and can appreciate all the workshops and exhibits they have there. The LA Fair has such better exhibits than the OC Fair! The exhibits are truly worthy of a world-class city with some culture...like Chicago...it's what I'm used to and I guess why I was pleasantly surprised today (that something out here would meet my standards of culture) haha. There were art demonstrations and workshops in the Sheets building in a number of different media, a giant play area in the farm area with stacked bales of hay (looked like so much fun!) and much more.

Food wise, I had my second zucchini weini ever (first at the OC Fair this year, where it debuted) and got my two friends to eat one too. It's a great invention and totally takes my appreciation of corndogs to another level. Let's see...bought a container of chocolate bacon to try for the first time - my two cents: very rational concept (crispy/soft, salty/sweet etc.)...but just doesn't quite work. And of course, there was Dr. Brown's to top it all off :)

Purchases: 800 thread count queen sheet set for $20! Haven't checked to see if they are double-layered sheets, but a 400 thread count sheet set for $20 is still a great deal! Three bags of nuts for $10 - for in-laws. A sports-themed gag gift for my hubby's bday next week. 


I like fairs...all the different people and the resulting bustle, the novelty each and every year, the educational and cultural aspects. They're just wonderful. I hope Vera enjoys them as well!

Can't wait to get the disposable camera converted and see our pics!




No comments: